About :: History of BGC
The Black Greek Council originally began as the Black Greek Association on March 10, 1972. At that time, the average membership was 200. The purpose of this group was to promote Black Greek unity on campus. This group was reorganized under the name Black Greek Letter Association in October 1974. Roughly a decade later, the organization changed names again to the Black Greek Council.
Black Greek-letter organizations have been on the campus of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for more than 100 years. The university is home to four single letter organizations adding to the historic aspects and importance of the Black Greek Council and its organizations.
Over the years, the Black Greek Council has served as the governing council for several Black Greek organizations including:
|Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.||Tau||March 3, 1917|
|Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.||Gamma||February 12, 1914|
|Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. (closed)||Beta||February 8, 1913|
|Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.||Pi Psi||October 29, 1929|
|Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.||Alpha Nu||May 16, 1932|
|Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. (closed)||Epsilon Xi||May 19, 1972|
|Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.||Nu Delta||April 15, 1972|
|Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. (inactive)||Delta Rho||March 8, 1969|
|Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. (closed)||Alpha Lambda||April 11, 1980|
|Phi Rho Eta Fraternity, Inc.||Gamma||June 8, 1997|
|Phi Delta Psi Fraternity, Inc. (closed)|
|Beta Phi Pi Fraternity, Inc. (closed)||Delta|